Accidents happen and when they do, you might be looking at car repairs and injuries as well as possible increases to your insurance. It’s no doubt that car accidents can be devastating, you see them happening all the time just driving your normal commute and it can make even the safest drivers wonder about their safety. Even if you are a good and meticulous driver and have never been in a car accident before, it is still important to learn all of the ways to avoid one. Major car accidents that happen are usually caused by human error, this means that it can be prevented. Before you get behind the wheel, you need to take basic safety precautions to prevent chances of injury in case of an accident. Safe driving can go a long way in keeping you and your family safe. Knowing what to do before an accident happens can keep you from sustaining serious injuries that might lead to possible death. Our experts at Belgrade Sales - cash for cars dublin have put together a list of the main causes of car accidents.
Rear-end collisions are a common reason for auto insurance claims. If the driver behind you was following too closely to allow adequate time to stop before colliding with you for any reason, that driver is typically at fault. Traumatic injuries occur in both high impact and low impact rear-end collisions. One of the many causes of rear-end collision are speeding, distracted driving, and mechanical failure. However, there are ways to avoid it. Consider these tips:
- Keep your distance
- Drive strategically
- Don’t get distracted
- Don’t drive when drowsy or under fatigued
Parked Car Damage
Another common cause of auto damage is having a parked vehicle hit by another car. Recklessness, negligent, and careless driving are often the main culprits in parking garage accidents. Whether you are leaving your car in a parking car lot or on the road, but these can be avoided.
- Don’t park in the busiest part of a parking lot
- Maximize the space and always park in the center of a spot
- Park street-smart and not park near busy interactions
Single-vehicle accidents include collisions with road barriers and debris. Also, drivers who have been drinking alcohol are most likely to get into fatal single-vehicle accidents. Intoxication increases the risk of poor driver decision-making. Aside from alcohol consumption, speeding, driver distraction, and vehicle defects are also common causes of single-vehicle accidents. However, this kind of accident can be avoided.
- Drive right for the weather
- Always pay attention
- Obeying the speed limit
Whether you are backing out a parking spot on your driveway, an accident can happen. The main attribute of backing accident causes are the driver was unaware of the obstacle and the driver used improper backing techniques. The best thing you can do to avoid accidents when backing up is to avoid having to back up in the first place. Park in a way where you won’t have to back up into traffic such as pulling through. If not possible, here are some tips to avoid them;
- Assess your surroundings and traffic patterns
- Back out using the shortest and most direct route possible
- Reverse in a straight line, turning only when a clear of parked vehicles
- Check and adjust mirrors
- Minimize distractions
- Install backup camera if possible
Intersections are another place where accidents frequently occur. Distracted drivers may miss traffic signals changing from green to yellow to red or they did not notice vehicles pausing before making turns. The most common causes are disobeying traffic signals and failing to yield the right way. To avoid this kind of accident you need to practice safe driving.
- Stay alert and awake
- Take a moment after the light turns green to make sure no one is coming through the intersection
- Look out for drivers speeding to make it through a yellow light on a cross street
- Be cautious
- Practice defensive driving
Hydroplaning can happen when you’re driving in rainy weather or through standing water on the road. The most common causes of hydroplaning accidents are water pools in the road surface creating deep puddles and inadequate water drainage resulting in poor road conditions. You can decrease the risk of hydroplaning by;
- Replacing tires when the tread wears down
- Gently turn the wheel in situations where steering is necessary
- Slowly ease off the vehicle's accelerator to help with regaining traction
- Always drive slowly in adverse weather
- Never use cruise control on wet roads
- Try to stay off the brakes, only use it when essential, and do so very slowly
Hitting an animal can result in serious injuries and vehicle damage. Animals can be unpredictable and it’s not always possible to entirely avoid a collision when one crosses your path. The good news is, there are some things you can do to reduce your chances of being involved in an animal-related collision.
- Paying attention to posted caution signs
- Using high beams at night
- Staying within the speed limit
These potentially-deadly collisions occur when one driver is turning and is hit broadside by another car. A side impact accident happens when a car is hit on its side. Among the potential reasons for a side impact accident are distracted driving, drunk driving, and failure to yield. Often, side-impact collisions are the result of negligence.
- Pay attention to the road
- Follow traffic signs and signals
- Keep breaks updated
- Be aware and cautious
- Follow the speed limit and check your speed
While there are many things you can do to help prevent collisions and accidents, it’s not always possible to avoid the unexpected. You should start purchasing a vehicle which is safe and has not any defect that can cause an accident. Contact Belgard Sales for affordable and safe automobiles. All their cars are fully inspected, history checked and warrantied.