Car breakdowns can be frustrating and extremely stressful as well. Moreover, with people being heavily dependent on their cars to get around in the city, breakdowns can cause a lot of inconveniences. Having said that, sometimes breakdowns could be a result of a very basic fault which can be easy to prevent.
In this article, we will be discussing the common reasons for car breakdowns. Let us get into more details and see how you can save yourself from unwanted stress and frustration.
9 Common Reasons for Car Breakdowns
1. Battery tends to drain over time when most of your journey is short and involves a lot of starting and stopping. Therefore, to maintain the good health of your car battery, you must take your car on a long journey, every now and then. This will keep your battery recharged and will help you to avoid the unwanted breakdowns.
2. Another common issue that leads to a breakdown of your car is putting the wrong type of fuel inside your car. If you also do this, make sure that you do not start the car and flush out the fuel completely.
3. Spark plugs are another reason behind the frequent breakdown of your car. They can wear out often. Therefore, you must service your car from time to time, to avoid such mishaps.
4. A faulty alternator can also lead to the breakdown of your car. The primary objective of the alternator is to recharge the battery from the engine power. Therefore, if you notice dim lights and frequent battery problems, it could be due to a faulty alternator.
5. When the car is overheating, make sure you shut down the air conditioner and open up the car windows. Doing so will reduce the engine load and the car will cool down quickly. However, if it continues to overheat, turn on the blower and the heater. This will pass the engine heat to the passenger compartment.
6. If there is a clicking noise when you put on the ignition or the dashboard lights turn on without anything happening, it might be due to a starter motor fault. Therefore, make sure you get it checked as soon as possible.
7. Changes in the clutch of your car, no matter how small it could indicate an underlying issue. Therefore, it is imperative that you get it checked from a professional service agent as soon as possible.
8. Another issue troubling your journey is the tyre tread. Having less tread on the tyre makes your car brake less effective. Therefore, check it using a depth measuring gauge.
9. Tyres can get flat frequently. Therefore, it is important to have a spare wheel inflated that is ready to be used, as and when needed.